Happy Hour craze has hit Vancouver. Who doesn’t want to sit on a sunny Summer patio at 3 pm and enjoy a nice Cocktail, Pint of Beer or a glass of Wine at a fraction of the regular price? Our Summer season is so precious why should we be inside stuck behind a desk when we can be outside soaking up some Vitamin D? I say grab your laptop and your smartphone, book your afternoon meetings at your favourite restaurant and combine life and work to make for some very happy hours. If you don’t have a favourite place to Happy Hour yet then here are 5 of the best Happy Hours in Vancouver to consider. Remember when you are on that conference call to make sure they don’t hear you ordering another pint of Beer.
1. Gotham Steakhouse – Happy Hour runs from 3 to 6 pm Monday to Friday and is served at the bar. I often forget about Gotham, but that has been fixed by my recent Happy Hour visit. Did you know Gotham’s has a patio? It is wicked and so private. Okay back to Happy Hour at the bar. Here is what I recommend, drink the Bubbles cause they are 40% off, order the fresh shucked Oysters, Mini Lobster Cobb Salad and some Prime Beef Sliders. The drink specials are; Champagne and Sparkling Wine is 40% off by the glass or bottle, local Beers on Tap are $5, well Highballs are $5.25 and you can choose one of four classic Craft Cocktails at $8 each. This may become my new favourite little Happy Hour spot.
2. The Roof at Black + Blue – Happy Hour runs from 2:30 to 5:30 pm. The Roof is located on the 3rd floor of Black + Blue and boasts an amazing rooftop experience made up from good food and service with some great people watching. I started my Happy Hour off with a $5 glass of Sparkling Wine and an order of Mac & Cheese Sticks. That only whetted my appetite, so I also ordered some BBQ Duck Tacos and the Crap & Spinach Dip to complete the meal. Boom that is a feast and all the food is 50% off the regular menu price. Drink specials include $5 Highballs, draft Beer and a feature Cocktail.
3. Boulevard Kitchen & Oyster Bar – Happy Hour runs from 3 to 6 pm. One thing I love about Happy Hour at Boulevard is you can sit anywhere and enjoy the specials, on the patio, in the restaurant or at the bar. I sat at the bar and revelled in the air conditioning it offers during the Summer heat wave. First up is a glass of Nichol Vineyards Nine Mile White and a couple of freshly shucked Oysters. Next up is a side of French Fries with homemade Piquillo Peppers Ketchup and a Korean Galbi Dog. Skip Japadog this is the dog you want to eat. The drink specials are amazing. Wine is from Nicol Vineyards at $7 a glass; Beer includes four Draught options at $5 or a daily bottle feature for $4. Highballs are $5, or you can go with a Moscow Mule or a Negroni for $5. Probably the cheapest craft cocktail in the city. If you drink and eat too much just book a room upstairs at the Sutton Place Hotel.
4. Sciue Yaletown – Happy Hour runs from 2:30 to 6:30 pm at this location, check other locations for their own Happy Hour specials. After a walk on the Seawall or before you go shopping at Urban Fare stop by Sciue at the Roundhouse and grab a seat on their full sun patio and enjoy some Italian bites and boozes. Who doesn’t love a Prosecco Spritzer, especially when it’s only $5? To fill my stomach I enjoy a bowl of Mixed Olives, seriously addicted if you have a salt craving, a Trio of Potato Chips and last but not least a Meatball Slider made to order. It’s Sciue, so it’s hard to resist a slice of pizza as well. Drink specials include Wine house red or white for $4 a glass or $11 for a 1/2 litre, Prosecco by the glass at $4, Stanley Park Beer is $4 or you can enjoy a Peroni draft for $5. Finally, you can choose from three flavours of Prosecco Spritzers for just $5. Magnifico!
5. The Distillery – Happy Hour runs from 4 to 6 pm every day. Located in the heart of Yaletown you’ll get some great people watching when you sit on the patio. I start with a glass of Hester Creek Pinot Gris, and I finish with a trio of small bites perfect to appease my pre-dinner hunger. Some Sicilian Chick Pea Fries, Baked Stuffed Cornetti Peppers and finally some Crispy Pork Cheek bites… yummy all. Drink specials include you choice of four Wines on tap for $5, three Draft Beers at $5 each or Well Highballs for $5. A couple drinks and some bites and you can get out of here for under $25!
What are you still doing reading? Get your but to one of these Happy Hour gems and enjoy yourself!