To the rest of the world celebrating Happy Hour may seem weird, but for those of us that live in British Columbia it is a very big deal. It has only been a few months since our government relaxed the rules around allowing restaurants and bars to offer Happy Hour, but we have embraced it completely. The challenge now is to find the best Happy Hours in Vancouver. I’ve not been able to visit every single one, but here are five that I think are well worth checking out. This is a subjective list, of course, so please feel free to weigh in with your favourites. These are five of mine and aside from some great Happy Hour deals they all have great patios to sit on. By the way, they are in no particular order.
1. Italian Kitchen – Happy Hour runs from 2:30 to 5:30pm. I could have picked any restaurant from the Glowbal Group of restaurants, but I specifically enjoy the Alberni Italian Kitchen location. Why you ask? Because it is often forgotten about, and the street side patio almost always has a spot for me. I love Italian food and any excuse to enjoy some Flatbread, or Calamari is A-OK with me. Drinks specials are Wine White or Red $5; Beer features $5 and Highballs $5. The entire cocktail hour food menu is also 50% off. May I suggest the Bruschetta Sampler, yummy.
2. Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House – Happy Hour runs from 4 to 6pm and is only at the Bar. What can I say? The Joe Fortes roof top patio is iconic, the food is delicious and the staff is uber attentive. I highly recommend the Lobster and Shrimp Rolls. Drink specials are Wine Red or White $5, Beer Molson Canadian Pint $5 and Highballs $5. It’s a super busy place so if you don’t get there early, there may be a lineup.
3. Earls Restaurant – Happy Hour runs from 3 to 6pm. I love Earls. The food is great and a nice sized portion to boot, they have an excellent seasonal cocktail menu, and there is always plenty of staff on hand to serve me. Happy Hour at Earls offers some of the favourite bites as an A la Carte menu. Do you want one or three Tuna Tostada’s? They also have some great patios to help you soak up the summer sun while you enjoy your beverage of choice. Below are the Tuna Tostadas and the Dynamite Prawn + Mango Roll, yummy! Drink specials are: Wine Mon Ami Rascal wines $4 each, Beer Rhino 12oz sleeves $3 and Highballs are $3. I think I could get quite happy for under $25.
4. The Wine Bar & Provence Marinaside – Happy Hour runs from 3 to 5pm. If you follow me on Instagram you know I spend a lot of time at The Wine Bar patio. A glass of wine in my hand with some small bites to nibble on and I can spend hours here. Actually I do spend hours here. Now that Tappy Hour is on offer I may just start my patio sessions a bit earlier. There are 19, count them, 19 small bites options for you to choose from. They are $5 each and range from Bocconcini and Tomato, Risotto Balls and one of my favourites the Merguez Lamb Sausages. Drink specials are also varied. There are 10 Wines on Tap to choose from at $5 each or 5 Craft Beers also at $5 each. Will I see you at TWB?
5. Wild Tale Coastal Grill – Happy Hour runs from 4pm to 6pm. This restaurant is new to me, but it is in my hood of Yaletown so I expect to become a regular this summer when I am in town. A fabulous patio and a Happy Hour menu that is as tasty as it is inexpensive. The food is all $6 or less and the drinks are all $4.75. A signature Ale from Stanley Park Brewing or a glass of White or Red Wine, the choice is yours. If you don’t know what to try for food I highly recommend the Lobster & Prawn Poutine along with the Grilled Jumbo Oysters. Both are tasty enough to make me love Seafood!
See you at Happy Hour! Send in your suggestions as I will publish another list of Best Happy Hours in Vancouver soon. You may see one of your favourites there.